For me, the Holidays are my favorite, yet the most stressful and busiest time of the year. There is always a family member to spend time with or a social gathering to be at. Don’t get me wrong, I love spending time with my family and being surrounded with loved ones. But having to constantly socialize and staying up at all wakes of the night can take a lot out of me. Not to mention worrying about buying gifts!
By the end of December I am completely exhausted and have lost all sense of a routine. I usually take a day or two to myself and decompress.
10 tips to fight the stress and refocus:
- SKINCARE- I am a complete fanatic when it comes to skincare products. Honestly, anything that I can pamper myself with, I am totally about. I used to have really bad cystic acne all over my cheeks during middle school and high school. Ever since the acne cleared up, I have been doing everything I can to keep up with a skin care routine. The days that I have to myself, I love to wake up and put a face mask on. My skin feels refreshed and detoxed after being so busy during the season. The mask I am loving right now is Whamisa’s green tea clay mask! Green Tea Clay Mask
- NETFLIX/HULU- For the amount of stress Nursing school causes me, I somehow manage to watch way too much TV…I can’t help it! In all seriousness, when life gets a bit too much for me, I like to decompress by binge watching shows or movies all day. I’m currently watching The Good Place, Black Mirror, and Vanderpump Rules. The most recent movies I watched were Bright, with Will Smith, and 8 Mile (classic).
- FOOD– 90% of the time when I am in bed watching TV, I am probably eating pizza, donuts or chips. Because who said eating healthy food while binge watching a show was enjoyable, right?
- PAJAMAS– Obviously, the most appropriate attire for a day all about yourself would be your jammies. Be the comfiest you can be!
- YOGA- Of all the exercises to do in this world, yoga is my absolute favorite. You can make it as hard as you want or as easy as you want. Focusing on the movements and your breath, is such a great stress reliever once you’re done.
- ESSENTIAL OILS- I got an essential oil diffuser for christmas and I absolutely love it. It acts as a humidifier but you put a few drops of your favorite essential oil and the room smells so nice. My favorite to use are Lavender or Eucalypstus. Lavender helps promote a healthy sleep and reduce anxiety. Whereas Eucalyptus clears breathing and lessens stress. If you don’t have an oil diffuser, putting a few drops in your shower will do the job as well! Essential Oil Diffuser Essential Oil Kit
- READ- Nothing like getting lost in a book to take your mind off the stress! I’m currently reading After You (or at least trying because I always end up getting distracted). After You Novel
- SLEEP- Maintaining a sleep schedule during the holidays can be quite difficult. Try getting sleep when you can!
- ENVIRONMENT- I thrive in a clean environment. I can’t focus or relax on anything else until I have a clean room. When your place is messy and cluttered, it affects you.
- DANCE PARTY- You can’t tell me that jamming to your favorite tunes, while dancing Meredith Grey and Christina Yang style (clearly a big fan of Grey’s Anatomy) isn’t going to change your mood!